Supporting new and established businesses to grow and succeed in Sunshine Coast, QLD
Source: The information provided is sourced from the Queensland Government Business website. Last updated: November 2020.
Dear Queensland Business Owners,
We all could use a little help. Cash flow is the lifeblood of any business. As business owners, we make choices every day on what we will invest in, suspend, or postpone to grow our business. Australia is in a recession. In 2021, the focus from local, state, and federal government is to create more jobs to grow the economy. The federal budget, as announced in October of 2020, introduced the $74 Billion job maker plan (Budget 2020). The job maker plan is designed to support a more robust economic recovery and bring more Australians back to work. At its core, the plan will:
- support a stronger economy
- drive a faster recovery in employment
- invest in skills and higher education
- improve the ease of doing business
- support the manufacturing and energy sectors
The plan includes $800 Million for the Digital Business Plan. The Digital Business Plan aim is to accelerate the digital transformation of Australia, to increase productivity and jobs growth and bring Australia closer to its goal of a leading digital economy by 2030. The details of the Digital Business Plan are outlined here.
So, what does this all mean to you? If a digital transformation in your business, will lead to you hiring more staff, you may qualify for grant funding in 2021.
So, what does a digital transformation mean? The Qld Government (2020), as part of the small business digital grants, describes it as digital technologies and services that help businesses work smarter, engage with the global economy and make the most of online business opportunities. In other words, if a new website, software, hardware, digital marketing campaign, training, and coaching will lead to measurably improved business performance and reduced costs, your business has been transformed by digital technologies and services.
Ask yourself right now? What would a $10,000 investment in digital technologies and services mean to my business? Will it result in the hiring of more staff? If the answer is yes, or even maybe, please read on.
Embrace new digital technologies and services to grow your business and hire more staff, with the help of a 2021 Queensland Small Business Government Grant
Interested? Here is what you can do now, to ensure you are ready to apply for a Government grant in 2021.
Each year, government agencies distribute millions of dollars in grants to eligible businesses. The Queensland government, in October of 2020, announced in the state budget $196 million for Small Business Adaption grants of up to $10,000. In addition announced $500 million to “back Queensland businesses“.
Securing funding is not easy—successful grant applications are backed by detailed research and solid preparation. While there is no magic formula for grant applications, some fundamental issues you need to consider are outlined below.
Making a commitment
You need to work out if your business has enough time and resources to make a serious application. Researching, planning, and writing an application requires significant work. Think carefully about how much time you have before you apply.
Most funding programs require you to match the funding with some of your own money. Make sure you have resources available for your specific purpose and do not start any work before your funding is confirmed.
All funding programs have guidelines. These include the program’s objectives, eligibility criteria, amounts of funding available, required supporting material and closing dates. Get a copy of the guidelines well in advance of the due date and, most importantly, follow them exactly.
2021 Qld Government Grant Schedule
*As of November 2020, the 2021 Queensland small business grant schedule has not been released. We will update this page as soon as those details are provided. The FY2019-2020 schedule can be viewed here.
- June 2019 – Small Business Disaster Recovery Grants – up to $10,000
- July 2019 – Small Business Artisan Producer Grants Program – up to $5,000
- August 2019 – Small Business Entrepreneur Grants Program (Round 5) – up to $5,000
- August 2019 – Business Growth Fund Program – up to $50,000
- October 2019 – Social Enterprise Grants Program – up to $50,000
- November 2019 – Small Business Digital Grants Program (Round 7) – up to $10,000
- May 2020 – Small Business Covid-19 Adaption Grant (Round 1) – up to $10,000
- July 2020 – Small Business Covid-19 Adaption Grant (Round 2) – up to $10,000
The eligibility criteria will vary depending on the grant you are applying for. Common eligibility criteria are:
- number of employees, typically between 1 and 20
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be registered for GST
- have a Queensland headquarters
- have a turnover of $2 million or less in the last financial year
- not be insolvent or have owners/directors that are an undischarged bankrupt
Writing your application
Most grant applications require:
- a description of your business, and possibly a business plan
- a detailed project description, including aims, objectives and expected outcomes (i.e. hire new staff within 6-months)
- a detailed plan on how you will use the money, which includes quotes and/or proposals from suppliers
- details of your experience and skills, and also those of key personnel
- provide evidence of annual turnover and annual payroll
- demonstrate value for money as determined by the Department of employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT).
- completed application forms, with all requested supporting documentation included
- the application must be completed by the applicant and provide their own original answers. Third-party completed applications will be rejected. If found to be conducted by a third-party, you will be asked to return the funds.
- only one application per round from an individual ABN or a financial beneficiary of a business
Remember to submit your application before the deadline – late applications are rarely considered.
This can vary depending on the grant. Typically, payment is made upon completion of the project. Successful applicants are reimbursed 100% or 50% of the total project cost, up to the approved grant funding amount. The Covid-19 Adapt Grant was managed differently, with payments made upon application approval. To receive reimbursement, applicants must:
- complete and submit an acquittal report through SmartyGrants
- issue a valid tax invoice to the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training
- submit copies of supplier invoices and proof of purchase for the total project cost.
Grant recipients may be subjected to a random audit by the Queensland Government (or its representatives) to ensure that the information provided is true and correct. Where it is found that false or misleading information has been provided, penalties may apply, including refunding some or all of the grant funding.
Why some grant applications fail
Applications for grants and government support often far exceed what is actually available. This can create a competitive environment where only the very best applications attract funding. There are many common reasons why applications are turned down. To give your application the best chance of success, check the following:
- Have you assessed your eligibility before applying?
- Is your area of research or your project relevant to the funding body?
- Have you understood the funding objectives?
- Have you followed the application guidelines and used the required forms?
- Have you fully considered how much work is involved in applying for a grant?
- Does your application make statements that are backed by supporting material?
- Is your explanation of your project focused and clear?
- Have you addressed the impact of your work in the broader community or industry?
- Have you underestimated the amount of competition for funding?
- Have you stressed the importance of funding for your project’s success?
- Have you explained how your ideas will be translated into action?
- Has your business made the grant application a priority?
- Have you proven you need funding support?
Why choose Marketing Broker Australia?
If you are not sure if the Queensland Small Business government grants are right for you, then please, speak to a marketing broker first. We know how important marketing is for building and growing a business. We believe all business owners should receive free, independent, quality advice about marketing their business before they sign on the dotted line.
“We understand that it takes hard work, dedication and commitment for a business to grow.”
We operate much like a mortgage broker. We do not charge you for our time to get you started with a professional copywriter. Like a mortgage broker, we are paid by them, not you as a sales commission. This is a standard rate, so our commission is the same, regardless of what services you end up adopting from any of our providers.
You will work with trusted, experienced and proven marketing professionals. You’ll have a marketing plan that allows you to track, review and action results every month.
We embrace innovation, change, new ideas and approaches. We can provide holistic solutions using multiple providers. No matter the size, we have a solution for you.
We operate with absolute integrity. We are honest and forthright about our intentions, our choices and our pricing. If we make a mistake, we own it and work with you to fix it.
We represent you with our providers. If you have an issue, a question or would like a second opinion, we’re there for you, at no additional cost.
We bring people together. We embrace diversity, technology, and new ways of conducting business. We lead through example. We grow the capability of our community by sharing what we learn openly and freely.
- Website built on WordPress/Elementor
- 90min Kick-off Strategy Session
- 5-page website, based on the customer journey
- E-Book - 6 pages, 1 article & custom branding
- Cool Feature Here
- Professional SEO Copywriting – 2 pages
- Embed YouTube Videos with subtitles
- CRM Integration – We recommend HubSpot
- Online Booking Integration – We recommend Calendy
- Basic & technical on-page SEO
- Google Search Console, Google My Business and Google Analytics Set Up
- Google Tags Manager & Facebook Pixel Installed
- Recorded how-to use your website video
Do not wait any longer, get started today by booking your free 30-minute consultation
Facebook Ad Management
Generate sales with sophisticated
Search Engine Optimisation
Improve your organic ranking on Google search and Google Maps
Logo & Business Card Design
Elevate your brand with a professional, quality and value-centric logo design.
Develop a video marketing strategy tailored to your consumer’s journey.
Web Design, Hosting & Support
Design a purpose-built, visually appealing, search optimised website, that grows with you
Self-manage your marketing like a professional with free resources, training, and software
Our Recommendations Are FREE
It doesn’t cost you anything to speak to a marketing broker. We will provide advice and help you find the right provider OR recommend marketing tools to help you self-manage your marketing.
Creative, Strategic Solutions
Our team are not bound to any marketing specialisation. We can provide holistic solutions, using multiple providers. Digital, Print, Direct, Traditional, Branding, Video, Training & Coaching and more.
You will have a growth plan you can personally track. You will work with proven, experienced professionals that focus on growing your business. The results tracked, reviewed and actioned, every month
We Take Out The Legwork
Our expert brokers will provide you with personalised proposals, with options, based on your growth objectives and budget.
We represent you, with our providers. If you have an issue, a question or would like a second opinion, we are there for you, at no additional cost to you.
We’ll Fit Your Schedule
Marketing brokers are flexible and will meet you at a time that suits you. Our video calls are recorded and shared with you, so you can review anytime.